You’re at your local coffeeshop. You order a latte, extra foam, with oat milk. You’re ready to pay, but then you peek behind the glass with the baked goods. You see a tower of chocolate squares with beautiful layers of nut butter, oats, and sweetened chocolate. You ask the barista if they’re vegan. The barista replies telling you no, they are not vegan.
You settle for the latte and some seeded muffin. But what you really wanted was the chocolate square. You gaze out the window wondering when the world will convert to fully vegan cafes. A bit dramatic? Maybe.
I’m with ya, foodie lover. I’m here to tell you – you can have your (vegan) cake and eat it too.
Do you have chocolate? Nut butter? Coconut oil? A few dates? Sweetener? Cashews? If the answer is yes, I’ve got news for you. These Dreamy No-Bake Vegan Choc Squares slices are kind of like the ones in the bakery, but… even better.
When dates combine with nuts and agave, something magical happens. When chocolate melts and gets poured over a layer of peanut butter, it’s bliss. These bars are a dream for the vegan, the nonvegan, or the chocolate lover.
Just ask my dad, the chocolate aficionado. “These are vegan?”, he asked, suspicious. Let’s just say they passed the test, and he loved them!
These are an amazing treat. Decadent, delicious, peanut buttery, chocolately.. everything you need with that extra foamy latte, a good book, and a sunny window in your apartment.
Let me know if you try these, I’d love to hear from you in the comments!
Vegan No-Bake Chocolate Squares
- 8x8 Baking Dish
- Parchment Paper
- Food Processor
- 2 Microwaveable Bowls
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 6 pitted medjool dates
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
Peanut Butter Layer
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp crushed pistachios
- 2 tbsp slivered almonds
- 1/8 tsp himalayan salt
- Line a 8x8 baking tray with parchment paper.
For the Crust
- Pulse medjool dates, cashews, melted coconut oil, salt, and agave syrup in the blender into crumbles.
- Add the coconut flour and blend until it becomes a sticky dough-like texture.
- Press the mixture into the baking tray, creating one even layer.
- Freeze for at least 10 minutes.
For Peanut Butter Layer
- Add peanut butter and one tablespoon agave syrup to a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave at 20 second intervals, stirring until the right consistency. It should be melted and easy to pour.
- Remove the baking tray from the freezer and pour the peanut butter mixture evenly on top of the crust.
- Freeze for at least 15 minutes.
For Chocolate Topping
- Melt vegan chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl at intervals of 30 seconds, stirring each time until chocolate is easy to spread on top.
- Remove the baking tray from the freezer and add the melted chocolate on top of the peanut butter layer, using the back of a spoon to create some fun swirls in the mixture.
- Top with slivered almonds and crushed pistachios.
- Finally, sprinkle a little salt on top.
- Freeze for an hour and slice into 16 squares.
- These are best cold, I recommend storing them in the freezer. Take a square, let it sit for a few minutes to thaw slightly and enjoy!
How do I crush the pistachios?
- For the crushed pistachios, you can use the back of a knife to crush them on a cutting board, or simply chop them roughly.
- You can sub walnuts for the cashews in the base if you'd like, using the same measurements.
- Maple syrup can be substituted for the agave syrup if you prefer!
- No chocolate chips? No problem. Use a bar of chocolate. Chop it up into chunks and use the same process for melting!