Whole Roasted Spicy Cauliflower: Taking Your Cauliflower Intrigue up a Notch
Whole Roasted Cauliflower – The Method
What happens when you have a head of cauliflower in your produce drawer, but you’re not quite sure what to do with it? Sure, you can add buffalo sauce, fry it, or even turn it into rice.
Those are all great options, but what if you’re looking for something a bit more… intriguing?
Here, we roast the whole cauliflower head to get a crispy texture on the outside, with a buttery texture on the inside. The cauliflower easily falls apart into florets with a fork after slow roasting in the oven. This Whole Roasted Cauliflower dish is the answer.
When you try it, you’ll be sold on this method, too.
The Spice Rub
This rub takes the intrigue level up a notch for this cauliflower dish. Each spice adds a necessary element to otherwise bland cauliflower.
- Turmeric – it’s earthy, musky, and adds that bright yellow color that brings this dish to life
- Curry – sweet, savory, and adds a little bite to the flavor profile
- Paprika – adds a little heat that is the perfect balance in this combination of sweet and spicy
- Black Pepper – contrasts with the above trio of spices, with a hot and sharp taste
You might want to make a little extra of this dry rub, and store it in a jar for other cooking later.
Plating the Cauliflower
The cauliflower is a delicious side alongside a vegetarian burger, tofu dishes, or really anything that strikes your fancy. It’s perfect to serve as a side for guests: it’s complex, spicy, and interesting. It’s also healthier than your typical roasted potato dish.
Drizzling the olive oil dressing over the top makes this dish come together with a buttery texture, and the parsley adds a touch of green to this beautiful dish.
I hope you enjoy it!!
Whole Roasted Curried Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 3 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
Olive Oil Dressing
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 diced garlic clove small
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
Prepping the Cauliflower
- Preheat the oven to 425° and place the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower and cut the stem of the cauliflower and discard.
- Wash the cauliflower head and pat it dry with a paper towel.
- Start by drizzling a little olive oil in the bottom of the cast-iron skillet. Then, drizzle the rest of the olive oil on the cauliflower, making sure it is coated in olive oil. Place it, stem down, in the skillet.
- Make a spice mixture of the turmeric, curry, paprika, pepper and salt. Rub it into the cauliflower head, making sure the whole cauliflower head is covered in the spices.
- Roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the top is crispy.
Serving the Cauliflower
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing by mixing the olive oil, parsley, diced garlic, salt and pepper in a ramekin.
- Remove the cauliflower from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Pull the cauliflower apart with a fork to separate into small florets.
- When ready to plate, drizzle a little olive oil dressing onto the cauliflower. Enjoy!