Avocado, sweet chili chickpeas, and toast. A trio made in heaven.
If there’s any way I can describe this recipe is that its avocado toast, elevated. The avocado is has added citrus, which creates a beautiful balanced flavor profile when the spiced chickpeas come into the mix. This dish reminds me of mornings in vegan cafes, sipping on a cappuccino and eating overpriced avocado toast. It’s always worth it, but there’s something nice about recreating that scene at home.
With this recipe, you can do just that. I’m offering a special discount for readers on all Date Lady products, which are the only sweeteners I use. Read about them here, and don’t forget to use code “meg15” at checkout.
Why Roasting The Chickpeas Works
The method of roasting the chickpeas allows them to become crispy, which works well with the buttery texture of the avocado. Adding the dry rub is essential, as it creates a full, bold flavor.
Why Date Lady Sweet Chili Sauce?
The sweet chili sauce adds a sweet and spicy element, which brings it all together. If you don’t already have this in your pantry, I recommend trying it out. It’s sweetened with dates rather than sugar, and contains no corn syrup, dairy, artificial flavors, or gluten. The only ingredients in this magical bottle?
Apple Cider Vinegar
Chili Pepper Flakes
That’s it! This sauce is so versatile and works great in stir fry recipes, as a finishing glaze, and as a topping on pizza. Right now, you can get 15% off your entire purchase using the code “meg15” at checkout.
Sweet Chili Chickpea Toast Recipe
4 Slices Sprouted Wheat Bread
1 Can of Chickpeas
1 teaspoon paprika
A pinch of cumin
¼ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper
4 Tablespoons avocado oil
1 Ripe Avocado
2 tablespoons Sweet Chili Sauce (I use Date Lady)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional
Black Sesame Seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Create a spice mixture in a small bowl using 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, a pinch of cumin, ¼ teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas well, and place them on a baking sheet. Drizzle avocado oil over the top and add the spice mix. Use your hands to mix the chickpeas, coating them in the spices and oil.
- Roast them in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread. I like to use a rustic bread that will hold up the ingredients in this recipe like a sprouted wheat bread, but sourdough would also work well.
- Next, smash the avocado into a bowl with a squeeze of lime juice. Spread it into the toast.
- Once the chickpeas come out of the oven, mix the sweet chili sauce into the chickpeas.
- Add the chickpea mixture on top of the toast, squeeze a little extra lime juice, and garnish with parsley and black sesame seeds. Enjoy!