Say hello to the Date Lady. She’s here for you in your time of need when it comes to baking, cooking, and general eating. She’s here to add depth, deliciousness, and a naturally sweet element to your Sticky Date Sriracha Tofu. This Sticky Date Sriracha…
Tostadas: The Inspiration I’ll admit, I can’t take full credit for this idea. My Chickpea Tostada recipe has been a result of various successes with chickpea taco recipes, and mostly by observing friends and family in the kitchen. There’s something about watching people create recipes,…
Remember the sad, tired looking vegetable tray at your last summer barbecue? There was a little ramekin of bland hummus in the middle, and instead of reaching for the raw veggies, your guests ate the store bought chips. Sad times.
You see, hummus doesn’t have to be boring and sad. It doesn’t have to disappoint you or your guests. This recipe is a novel approach towards hummus: it has color, zest, and earthiness.
I opted for cooked beets to keep it easy and simple. I wanted mine to bright and beautiful, so I used about three quarters of the pack of beets. Of course, I next whizzed up some chickpeas in the blender. Then I reached for a lime, zested that up, and squeezed the juice into the mixture. I incrementally added the other ingredients, tasting and adjusting as necessary.
I remember serving this to my family, with my chickpea tostada recipe. They loved it! I think the color had almost as much to do with it as the flavor. Feel free to serve yours on it’s own with seedy crackers, freshly sliced cucumbers, or spread onto a vegetable sandwich for lunch.
Feel free to run wild with this recipe. It’s red hummus, after all. You make the rules here!
- 1/2 - 1 container cooked beets (I used Love Beets brand)
- 1 15oz can chickpeas
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 lime zested
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- dash salt and pepper
- Blend the cooked beets in a food processor until smooth.
- Add the chickpeas, and blend with the beets until it is a hummus-like consistency.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend.
- Taste and adjust based on preference. Add more lime juice for zestiness, beets for earthiness, avocado oil for a more buttery texture. You're the star of the show, make it what you wish!
- Will stay fresh for a week refrigerated.